FoodShare Balcony Garden Animator – Part Time
FoodShare Toronto, as part of the Black Creek SNAP project, is looking for three passionate, community organizers with food growing experience and willing to work part time. We will be prioritizing individuals who live within the San Romanoway community.
Detailed job description:
Working with FoodShare Toronto, and other Balcony Garden Animators to:
- Assist in recruiting residents to grow food on balconies
- Support FoodShare Toronto in delivering balcony garden workshops at the beginning of the growing season and in July.
- Support residents in problem solving about growing issues (too much water, not enough water, bugs, birds, etc)
- Supporting residents in weekly reporting on how much great food is grown (and hopefully eaten)
- Report to FoodShare’s project leader every two weeks with how much food has grown, etc.
- Attend a paid orientation on April 16, 2014.
- Be available for 2.5-3hrs per week for the majority of April – end of September.
- Working with other team members
- Assisting with organizing, outreach, of workshops, potlucks, and harvest celebrations
- Participates in monthly team meeting
- Completing related administrative duties, such as reporting, and evaluations at the end of the season.
Qualifications and skills:
- Experience in food growing
- Experience in outreach
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of and experience working with people of Toronto’s diverse communities
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team are equally important
- Basic proficiency in Word/have email
- Some evenings and weekends required
- Second-language an asset
- Living in the San Romanoway community a key asset
Hours and Compensation: Flexible schedule, 8 -10 hrs in April, 2.5 – 3hrs per week during mid-May to end of September. $12/hr as an honourarium
How to apply:
- Please put together your resume and cover letter OR a 1-2 page type written summary of your growing and volunteer experience and why you want to do this job.
- Send it to Angela ElzingaCheng at email@example.com or fax at (416) 363-0474 OR Bring to San Romanoway Revitalization Association front desk, 10 San Romanoway, Ground Floor